BONN/REGION The Bonn Christmas circus comes to town this weekend along with “Murder on the Orient Express” in the form of ballet! In Cologne, the White Christmas Concert and the London Brass will get you in the holiday mood. Whatever you do and wherever you are, we wish you a wonderful holiday weekend!
In case you haven’t had a chance yet or you want to go one last time, it’s time to take advantage and visit one of the many wonderful Christmas markets in Bonn and the region. Most will be closing after this weekend. For a look at the markets and their opening days and hours, please see our list.
2. Bonn Christmas Circus
- Bonn Christmas Circus: The traditional event for the whole family returns to Beuel. The program for this year is brand new, with international and top acts. Unique artists from all over the world, breathtaking performances, funny clowns, cute animal acts and lots of surprises await the audiences. It premiers on Friday at 7pm. On Saturday there are shows at 3 & 7pm and on Sunday at 2 & 6pm. Tickets start at 21.65 euros. Fairground on Siegburger Straße, Bonn-Beuel, motorway exit Beuel-Pützchen. For more information and to purchase tickets, please see our story.
3. The Importance of Being Earnest
- The Importance of Being Earnest: Visit the theater and see this classic piece from Oscar Wilde being performed in English. Wilde created this farcical comedy in the late 19th century shortly before being sentenced to prison for homosexual conduct. The play deals with the late Victorian rigid social conventions, with comical intrigue and witty dialogues. Euro Theater Central Bonn, Münsterplatz 30/entrance on Mauspfad, Saturday, 8pm, (0228) 652951
4. “Impulse” at GOP Variety Theater
- “Impulse” is the current show at GOP Variety Theater: It’s about Beats, Dance & Bodyart - a show that breaks down boundaries and provides an unforgettable overall experience of music, images and movement. Staged by extraordinary dancers, acrobats and instrumentalists. Delicate melodies, fat beats - the sounds of the show are pure, live and specially arranged by director Nikos Hippler. The scenery is also spectacular with unusual scenarios of projection and sound. Impulse is modern stage art at its best. GOP Variety Theater, Karl-Carstens-Str. 1, Friday & Saturday at 6 & 9:30pm, Sunday at 2 and 5pm, For more information and tickets, please see: https://www.variete.de/spielorte/bonn/programm/ .
5. Tributes to Freddie Mercury and David Bowie
- Freddy Mercury and David Bowie tributes: For fans of these legendary stars, this is a great weekend to hear their music in "A Tribute to Queen & Freddie Mercury" which will be showing on Friday at 8pm and “Space Oddity: A Tribute to David Bowie" showing on Saturday at 8pm at the Harmonie, Frongasse 28-30, (0228) 614042
6. Highlights of International Dance: "Murder on the Orient Express"
- "Murder on the Orient Express" with the Dortmund Ballet: Demis Volpi, internationally acclaimed in-house choreographer of the Stuttgart Ballet, and Christian Baier, writer and chief dramaturge of the Dortmund Ballet, tell the story of the legendary train as a kaleidoscope of the dream of a Europe without borders. A detective novel as a ballet - is that possible? No - and that is not the intention of the Argentinian Demis Volpi. Together with three colleagues - Xenia Wiest (Germany), Juanjo Arques (Spain) and Craig Davidson (Australia) - he deals with the question raised by Agatha Christie about the interaction between guilt and atonement. Bonn Opera, Am Boeselagerhof 1, 8pm on Sunday. Tickets start at 13 euros. For more information and to buy tickets, please visit: http://www.theater-bonn.de/tanz/spielplan/monatsspielplan/event/ballett-dortmund-nrw-juniorballett/vc/Veranstaltung/va/show/
7. Ice Skating at Bonn on Ice
- Bonn On Ice: It’s a great thing to do over the holidays whether you already know how to skate or want to learn. Anyone who is inclined can put on some ice skates and do some figure eights around the ice skating rink in Bonn city center. Rental skates are available at the rink, Stadtgarten am Alten Zoll, Adenauerallee. Open on Friday and Saturday from 10am to 10pm and on Sunday from 10 am - 9pm. There is already a very high demand again for curling and reservations are required by signing up online: www.bonnonice.de
8. Riverside lights
- River shore lights Bad Neuenahr: Experience a unique festive atmosphere in the spa gardens of Bad Neuenahr, in the setting on the Ahr river bank. Visitors will be enchanted by the dreamlike lighted atmosphere and decorations from master florist Gregor Lersch, along with hand made arts and crafts, jewelry and more. Discover the regional specialities and unusual offers of the culinary stands in the Kurpark. Opening hours
Fridays through Sundays, December 21 - 23, and Thursday, December 27 through Sunday, December 30. The lighting display is on from 4pm to 9:30pm, and on Sundays it begins earlier at 2pm. Kurgartenstraße, 53474 Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler. For more information, please see the website.
9. White Christmas in Concert
- White Christmas in Concert: The premiere of "White Christmas" in 2016 already exceeded all expectations and is back once again to get everyone in the holiday mood. The "Royal Christmas Orchestra" and the gospel choir “The Afro Gospel Voices” together with other artists perform well-known Christmas hits with international and German lyrics. Tickets begin at 49.90 euros. 8pm on Saturday, live at the Lanxess-Arena, Willy-Brandt-Platz 3, Cologne. For tickets and more information, please visit: https://www.lanxess-arena.de/aktion/datum/22122018all
10. London Brass holiday concert
- London Brass concert: According to their website, “London Brass comprises a pool of the best players in the UK from backgrounds in every genre of music making.” They have toured many countries in Europe and performed at venues such as the Royal Albert Hall, Westminster Abbey and St Paul’s Cathedral. This concert features festive Christmas brass music from England and Germany with works by Antonio Vivaldi, Arcangelo Corelli, John Stanley, Johann Sebastian Bach and others. Tickets start at 18.50 euros. Sunday at 11am. Philharmonie Köln, Bischofsgartenstr. 1, Cologne. To order tickets, please see their website.
- “Magic of the Dance”: The successful Irish show “Magic of the Dance” combines the top tap dancers of the world with wonderful music and an exciting love story for a fast-paced and thrilling performance. It combines both traditional tap with modern dance with innovative choreography. The love story is told by none other than Hollywood star Sir Christopher Lee known from “Lord of the Rings”. The show is Saturday, February 2 at 8pm. Bad Godesberg Stadthalle, Koblenzer Straße 80. Tickets start at 37 euros and can be ordered at www.ga-bonn.de or purchased at Bonnticket shops.
Sampling of museums in Bonn and surrounds
- Arp Museum Bahnhof Rolandseck Exhibitions: A current schedule can be found on the website (English): http://arpmuseum.org/en/ Hans-Arp-Allee 1, 53424 Remagen, (02228) 94250
- Bundeskunsthalle Exhibitions: A current listing and opening hours can be found on the website (English) Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 4., (0228) 91710
- Deutsches Museum Bonn: A current listing can be found on the website: http://www.deutsches-museum.de/de/bonn/information/ (English), Bad Godesberg, Ahrstr. 45, 10am - 6pm, (0228) 302255. For more information on children’s programmes: (0228) 302 256, E-Mail
- Kunstmuseum: A current listing can be found on the website (English), Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 2, 11am-6pm, (0228) 776260
- LVR Landesmuseum: A current listing can be found here: times on website(English), Colmanstr. 14-16, (0228) 2070351
Cinemas offering English-language movies:
Want to see a movie in English? The following theaters normally offer at least a couple of movies in English.
Films labeled with OV (Orig. version) or Omu (Orig. version with German subtitles) are generally in English unless otherwise noted, i.e. (Russ) = Russian, (Frz) = French.
- Kinopolis, Moltkestr. 7-9, Bad Godesberg: http://www.kinopolis.de/bn/events/filmreihe/oton
- Woki cinema, Bertha-von-Suttner-Platz 1-7, Bonn: http://www.woki.de/
- Brotfabrik, Kreuzstrasse 16, Bonn-Beuel: http://www.bonnerkinemathek.de/programm/
- Metropolis, Ebertplatz 19, Cologne: http://metropolis-koeln.de/kino/programm/city190/
- Odeon-Lichtspieltheater, Severinstraße 81, Cologne: http://www.odeon-koeln.de/inhalt/odeon/plan
- Or check out this site http://www.filmstarts.de/kinoprogramm/?cgeocode=126010tap in your location and then select the OV Original Version.
Follow GA-English on Facebook: Click “like” on our page and you will receive our regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/gabonnenglish/
Follow us on Twitter:https://twitter.com/GA_english?lang=en