1. GA-English
  2. News

New cases in Bonn, Siegburg, Much and Alfter: Five more coronavirus cases in Bonn and the Rhine-Sieg district

New cases in Bonn, Siegburg, Much and Alfter : Five more coronavirus cases in Bonn and the Rhine-Sieg district

The number of people infected with the corona virus is somewhat increasing in Bonn and the region. The City of Bonn reports two new cases, and three more people in the Rhine-Sieg district have tested positive for SARS Cov2. The district Neuwied also reported a first case on Sunday.

The number of people infected with the coronavirus in Bonn has risen to four. According to the city on Sunday afternoon, two more cases were registered over the weekend.

The mother of one family tested positive, the father was admitted to hospital because of a previous illness. As with the son, he was tested, and the results are still pending. All family members are in domestic quarantine, and as to whether a workplace was affected at all, it was only a small professional setting.

A travel returnee from South Tyrol also tested positive on Saturday. Since he was still on vacation, his place of work was not affected. His partner is also in domestic quarantine.

On Friday, Bonn International School reported that a 13-year-old student at the school had contracted SARS Cov2. The city confirmed this on Saturday. But so far none of the students of Bonn International School have shown any symptoms, it was said on Sunday. Ten families have not yet been reached, however.

Three new cases in the Rhine-Sieg district

There are also three other cases of coronavirus in the Rhine-Sieg district. As the district administration in Siegburg announced Sunday at noon, the affected people come from Alfter, Much and Siegburg.

The health department of the Rhein-Sieg district is currently in the process of identifying the persons with whom the affected persons had had contact. The mayors of the respective municipalities were informed of the situation. How and where the affected persons were infected, the district has not yet disclosed.

Now five coronavirus cases in the Rhine-Sieg district

This means that there are now a total of five confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the region. 50 people are currently in quarantine because they may have had contact with people already infected.

The first two people infected in the Rhine-Sieg district came from Königswinter and Bornheim. A Königswinter family man is said to have been infected while working in Bonn. His immediate colleague from the Rheinisch-Bergisch district tested positive for the coronavirus. The woman from Bornheim, who is infected with the corona virus, is thought to have contracted the virus at a seminar in Düsseldorf from a woman who had contacts in the Heinsberg district (where a person at a carnival event carried the corona virus).

First confirmed case in Neuwied district

At the hospital in Linz, a person who tested positive is also currently being treated. This person was admitted on March 4 due to an infection with fever and is now suffering from the respiratory disease Covid-19, as the district of Neuwied reported on Sunday. The affected person had already been in isolation since admission to the hospital due to suspected influenza. "In the course of the illness, corona testing was carried out as a differential diagnostic clarification," said the Neuwied district administration. The positive coronavirus finding was then obtained on Saturday evening. Contact persons are now being consulted and quarantined if necessary. "Currently, the hospital's operations are not restricted." The condition of the affected person is stable.

For citizens who may have had contact with a person who tested positive, the Rhein-Sieg-Kreis provides the following information:

According to the case definition of the Robert Koch Institute, Category 1 contact persons are persons who have had close contact (more than 15 minutes face-to-face) with a person who has tested positive and who show no symptoms of illness. "If this applies to you, please stay at home and report on the next working day either- to your family doctor (after prior arrangement by telephone) or - to the Health Office of the Rhein-Sieg-Kreis by e-mail to coronavirus@rhein-sieg-kreis.de stating your name and contact details or to the Citizens' Telephone of the Rhine-Sieg district (available daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. under the telephone number 02241/ 13-3333)

Category 2 contact persons are persons who have not had close contact (less than 15 minutes) with a person tested positive and who do not show any symptoms of illness. "If this applies to you, please stay at home and contact your general practitioner on the next working day (after prior arrangement by telephone)."

In Germany, the number of people suffering from coronavirus infections rose to 847 according to current data from the Robert Koch Institute (as of March 8, 10 am). NRW, Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg are most affected. Worldwide, more than 100,000 people have now been confirmed infected. The total number of deaths is now more than 3,500.

(Orig. text: Michael Wrobel; Translation: ck)