1. GA-English

Major events considered: New coronavirus cases in Bonn and the Rhein-Sieg-Kreis

Major events considered : New coronavirus cases in Bonn and the Rhein-Sieg-Kreis

There is a new coronavirus patient in Bonn. This is a relative of a person who has already tested positive. The city is also monitoring the situation with regard to major events. There are also two more confirmed cases in the Rhein-Sieg district.

The number of people infected with the coronavirus in Bonn has now risen to five. As the city announced on Monday, one father of a small family has now also tested positive - the mother had already tested positive over the weekend. Now the city of Bonn confirms that his test result is also positive. However, the child's test result is negative.

A returnee from South Tyrol also tested positive on Saturday. Since he is still on holiday, there are no professional contacts. His partner is also in domestic quarantine.

On Friday, the Bonn International School announced that a 13-year-old student of the school had contracted SARS Cov2. The city confirmed this on Saturday. But so far, nobody of the students of the Bonn International School has shown new symptoms, it was still said on Sunday. In the meantime, all families have been contacted and the students are under quarantine.

Major events considered

In the case of the city of Bonn, the situation of large events (1000 participants or more) is currently also being motnitored. According to statements, the city council adheres to the criteria of the Robert Koch Institute. "If there is an instruction from the federal government or the state, we will of course follow it", said Lord Mayor Ashok Sridharan.

The city would hang posters in its event rooms, for example in the opera and the Stadthalle, with recommendations for behaviour. "The five cases currently confirmed concern 0.0015 percent of Bonn's population. In contrast, 453 cases of influenza have been registered from the beginning of 2020 to the present, which is 0.137 percent," the city said in its statement.

Two more cases in the Rhein-Sieg district

Two other people in the Rhein-Sieg district have tested positive for the corona virus SARS-Cov-2. This was announced by the district administration late Monday afternoon. The two sick persons live in Lohmar and Siegburg, bringing the number of sick persons in the district to seven. The new cases are secondary cases in the district. This is the first time that people have been infected by ill people in the district.

Over the weekend, three people from Siegburg, Alfter and Much had tested positive for the virus. The sick person from Siegburg is "a politically active lady", explained District Administrator Sebastian Schuster in a press conference on Monday morning. She had had many contacts because of her commitment, said Rainer Meilicke, head of the district health department. His staff had so far identified about 70 contact persons. Meanwhile, the city of Siegburg has cancelled all committee meetings planned for this week. The two sick persons from Alfter and Much are also middle-aged women. In one case, according to Meilicke, many contacts are also to be checked.

111 persons in domestic quarantine

All the sick people in the circle are under "home segregation", a voluntary quarantine within their own four walls. A total of 111 people in the district are in domestic quarantine. "Unlike this morning, I unfortunately have to assume that the number of positive cases will continue to increase within a short time," Meilicke said in the afternoon.

The public health department recommends that contact persons of sick people should also be tested for the virus. This could be done by general practitioners or, for severely ill people, by hospitals - after prior telephone registration.

Schools or kindergartens in the district have not yet had to be closed, according to the district administrator. "We hope to get by until the Easter holidays," he said.

Special instruction to fire and rescue services

"We are not afraid of the coronavirus," said Siegburg's mayor Franz Huhn in response to a GA inquiry. On Sunday he had learned of the confirmed case in his city. "We will now do everything possible to break the chain of infection that is now in motion." In the next two weeks, planned citizen information meetings would therefore also be dropped. Already on Sunday, there had been special instructions to the fire brigade and the rescue services of the district town. "We have outsourced the rescue station, so that at Neuenhof only the fire station is still manned", said Huhn. Paramedics and firefighters now work in separate rooms. In the town hall itself, he said, hygiene precautions have been tightened for some time. The administration is also reacting in organizational terms. "Meetings are to be replaced by telephone conferences, for example", advises Huhn.

In connection with the case of one sick person from Königswinter, the public health department is still waiting for the test results of a third family member, Meilicke explained. As reported, the public health department had had the 38-year-old's family members tested for the coronavirus. Two of the tests turned out negative.

Meanwhile, many people are taking advantage of the opportunity to obtain information and ask questions via the citizen's telephone of the Rhein-Sieg district. "The Citizens' Telephone is well received", said Schuster. About 100 calls are answered daily by the staff there, explained district spokeswoman Rita Lorenz. The Citizens' Telephone is manned daily between 8 am and 8 pm and can be reached by calling 0 22 41/13 33 33.

First confirmed case in Neuwied district

At the hospital in Linz, a person who tested positive is also currently being treated. This person was admitted on 4 March due to a febrile infection and is now suffering from the respiratory disease Covid-19, as the district of Neuwied announced on Sunday. The sick person had already been in isolation since admission to hospital due to suspected influenza. "In the course of the disease, corona diagnostics was performed as a differential diagnostic clarification," said the Neuwied district administration. The positive coronavirus finding was then received on Saturday evening. Contact persons are now being contacted and quarantined if necessary. "Currently, the operation of the hospital is not restricted." The condition of the sick person is stable.

For citizens who may have had contact with a person who tested positive, the Rhein-Sieg-Kreis gives the following information:

According to the case definition of the Robert Koch Institute, Category 1 contact persons are persons who have had close contact (more than 15 minutes face-to-face) with a person who has tested positive and who show no symptoms of illness. "If this applies to you, please stay at home and report on the next working day either- to your family doctor (after prior arrangement by telephone) or - to the Health Office of the Rhein-Sieg-Kreis by e-mail to coronavirus@rhein-sieg-kreis.de stating your name and contact details or to the Citizens' Telephone of the Rhein-Sieg-Kreis (available daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. under the telephone number 02241/ 13-3333)

Category 2 contact persons are persons who have not had close contact (less than 15 minutes) with a person tested positive and who do not show any symptoms of illness. "If this applies to you, please stay at home and contact your general practitioner on the next working day (after prior arrangement by telephone)."

(Original text: Michael Wrobel, Alexander Hertel and Nadine Quadt; Translation: Mareike Graepel)