BONN/REGION. For classical music enthusiasts, the German Music Competition has begun. And the Over the Border Festival brings the Polish band Kroke to Bonn this weekend, with charged and emotional music. In Cologne, Alice Merton sings her hit song “No roots”.
Friday, March 9
- Over the Border Festival: With Al Jawala and Trettmann, Brückenforum, Bonn-Beuel, Friedrich-Breuer-Str. 17, 7pm, (0228) 400090
- Mark Gillespie: singer / songwriter from Manchester, England, singer of the tribute band "Kings Of Floyd", Harmonie, Frongasse 28-30, 8 pm, (0228) 614042
- Carolin No: "11 Years of November", Singer-songwriter couple which has so far released eleven albums with primarily English and German-language songs. They have performed with artists such as Joan Armatrading and Suzanne Vega, Pantheon, Bonn-Beuel, Siegburger Str. 42, 8pm, (0228) 212521
- German Music Competition
2nd round violin, 10 am; current information can be found here, La Redoute, Bad Godesberg, Kurfürstenallee 1, (0228) 367720
2nd Round Accordion, 5pm; current information can be found here, Chamber Music Hall Beethoven House, Bonngasse 24-26, (0228) 981750
2nd Round Clarinet, 10 am; current information can be found here, Augustinum Bonn, Römerstr. 118
2nd round double bass, 10 am, 1st round song duo, 5 pm; current information can be found here, LVR-Landesmuseum, Colmantstr. 14-16, (0228) 2070351
- Music as it was played in Beethoven's time: Concert on the fortepiano with Natalia Lentas, Beethoven-Haus, Bonngasse 20-26, 4 pm, (0228) 981750
- TanzBar: Party, Jazz Galerie, Oxfordstr. 24, 10pm, (0228) 639324
- Depeche Mode Party: Club Das Sofa, Maximilianstr. 8, 11pm
- Animal drawing: "insects and spiders", workshop for children from 8 to 14 years; Registration at: (0228) 9093477, Museum Alexander Koenig, Adenauerallee 160, 3pm, (0228) 91220
- “English Circle”: Wine tasting and theme night for friends and students of the English language, 8pm gathering in the Lantershofener Wine Association on Lantershofener Winzerstraße. New participants always welcome on the second Friday of the month. Your English doesn’t need to be perfect but you should have a basic knowledge. Casual groups including at least one native speaker are formed, discussing topics or also wine tasting, city tours or movie nights. No requirements and no cost. More information is available by calling Cheryl Jungmann (02641) 21294 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alice Merton: German/Candian/English singer-songwriter with her current hit song “No Roots”, Gloria Theater, Apostelnstr. 11, 7:30pm, (0221) 660630
Saturday, March 10
- ‘Cologne Jass Society’: New Orleans Jazz, Sonja's, Friedrichstr. 13, 4pm, (0228) 635825
- German Music Competition: 3rd round Solo categories, 5 pm; current information can be found here, Augustinum Bonn, Römerstr. 118
- A Musical Journey: 25 Years Children and Youth Choir, Anniversary Concert, Bonn Opera, Am Boeselagerhof 1, 7 pm, (0228) 778008
- Crossfader X + Instead of Dancing: Rock, music club session, Gerhard-von-Are-Str. 4-6, 8pm, (0228) 650668
- Over the Border Festival: With the unique musical group Kroke from Poland playing Klezmer music, blending the essence of old Jewish music with precise drum sampling. Violin, accordion and bass create a sound full of emotions. Paulus Church, In der Maar 7, 53175 Bonn, 8pm, For tickets click here
- Dance tournament Golden Vine from the Rhine: Tournament ball, organized by Tanzsportklub Blau-Gold-Rondo Bonn; Tickets available at 0178-5188176, Stadthalle Bad Godesberg, Bad Godesberg, Koblenzer Str. 80, 8 pm, (0228) 528810
- Children’s flea market: A wide range of items from toys to clothing, books, bikes and buggies. 11am - 2 pm, Servatiushalle, Margaretenstraße, 15 percent of profits to benefit the St. Servatius kindergarten as well as others.
- Cartoon drawing for children: "Superheroes", workshop for children from 8 to 14 years; Registration: +49 (0) 228 9093477, Kunstverein Bad Godesberg, Bad Godesberg, in the Glaskarree, Burgstr. 85, 3pm, (0228) 314516
- Boybands forever: Show with the hits of the biggest boy groups, Lanxess-Arena, Willy-Brandt-Platz 3, 8 pm, (0221) 8021
- La Bella Notte Italiana: Party, Music from Italian beats, Latin beats, hip hop & house, Die Kantine, Neusser Landstr. 2a, 10pm, (0221) 16791616
- Blue Shell Live: EVO-LUTION, CELESTE NOIR, VADOT, SUPERIKONE,, Blue Shell, Luxemburger Str. 32, 8pm, (0221) 212034
Sunday, March 11
- Record and CD Exchange: Brückenforum, Bonn-Beuel, Friedrich-Breuer-Str. 17, 11am to 4pm, (0228) 400090
- German Music Competition: 3rd round Solo categories, 10 am; current information at www.deutscher-musikwettbewerb.de, Augustinum Bonn, Römerstr. 118
- The Vagrancy Ensemble featuring Barry Guy from the UK on double bass, known for creative versatility in the field of jazz improv and solo, chamber and orchestral music: Dialograum Kreuzung an St. Helena, Bornheimer Str. 130, 8pm, (0228) 630016
- Breakfast Club: Party, Club Das Sofa, Maximilianstr. 8, 5:30am
- Family Day: Children's rally and games like in the olden days, Akademisches Kunstmuseum, Am Hofgarten 21, 11 am to 6 pm, (0228) 735011
- Paul Heller, German jazz saxophonist invites Scott Hamilton, American jazz tenor saxophonist who emerged in the 1970’s, associated with swing and mainstream jazz: Jazz, Stadtgarten, Venloer Str. 40, 6pm, (0221) 9529940
- Thirty Seconds To Mars: Alternative Rock, Lanxess-Arena, Willy-Brandt-Platz 3, 7:30pm, (0221) 8021
- Youth Spring Camps (offered by Bonn International School but open to BIS and non-BIS students); Multi-activity camp: Improving skills in various sports while having fun through playing games, participating in creative and artistic workshops. For children from EL 3/4 to Grade 1 and Grades 2-7; Musical theater camp: Learning aspects of musical theater - acting, singing, dancing and backstage activities such as set or sound design, ending with a performance. For children in Grades 4 - 9. Dates: Monday, March 26 - Thursday, March 29, Time: 9am to 3:30pm, Location: Bonn International School in Plittersdorf; Register: For more information and to register, please visit the website. Registration ends on Friday, 9 March 2018.
- Crossroads Festival: Four days, eight bands. The editors of the WDR music show Rockpalast have held the Crossroads Festival featuring international artists in the Bonn music club Harmonie in the spring and autumn for 15 years. The 30th season begins on 14 March. For more information, see our story.
- Thomas Kimmerle Jazztet plays at Dottendorfer Jazz Night: With music from the so-called Blue Note era of the 60’s with compositions from Hank Mobley, Dexter Gordon, Bobby Watson and others. Thomas Kimmerle Jazztet consists of a top-class horn section with Peter Protschka (trumpet), Thomas Kimmerle (saxophone) and the American trombonist Andy Hunter. The horn section is powered by an energetic rhythm section. March 15, Thursday, 7pm, Dottendorfer Str. 41, tickets at all ticket outlets, 10 - 14 euros
Sampling of Exhibitions in Bonn and surrounds
- University of Bonn under National Socialism: Official opening of special exhibition in the air raid shelter on Konviktstraße 11, 7pm on Friday. To attend the opening, please e-mail to: email@example.com. The exhibition will remain open to visitors through the end of the year in conjunction with 200 years of the Uni Bonn 1818-2018. More information here
- Georg Cevales: Findings - pictures on boards from the banks of the Rhine, exhibition opening, S.Y.L.A.NTENHEIM, Maxstr. 55, Friday, 7pm, (2228) 18033378
- Arp Museum Bahnhof Rolandseck Exhibitions: A current schedule can be found on the website (English), Hans-Arp-Allee 1, 53424 Remagen, (02228) 94250
- Bundeskunsthalle Exhibitions: A current listing can be found on the website (English) Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 4., (0228) 91710
- Deutsches Museum Bonn: A current listing can be found on the website: http://www.deutsches-museum.de/de/bonn/information/ (English) Bad Godesberg, Ahrstr. 45, 10am - 6pm, (0228) 302255, For more information on children’s programmes: (0228) 302 256, E-Mail
- Kunstmuseum: A current listing can be found on the website (English) Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 2, 11am-6pm, (0228) 776260
- LVR Landesmuseum: A current listing can be found here: times on website (English), Colmanstr. 14-16, (0228) 2070351
Cinemas offering English-language movies
Want to see a movie in English? The following theaters normally offer at least a couple of movies in English.
Films labeled with OV (Orig. version) or Omu (Orig. version with German subtitles) are generally in English unless otherwise noted, i.e. (Russ) = Russian, (Frz) = French.
Kinopolis, Moltkestr. 7-9, Bad Godesberg: http://www.kinopolis.de/bn/events/filmreihe/oton
Woki cinema, Bertha-von-Suttner-Platz 1-7, Bonn: http://www.woki.de/
Brotfabrik, Kreuzstrasse 16, Bonn-Beuel: http://www.bonnerkinemathek.de/programm/
Metropolis, Ebertplatz 19, Cologne: http://metropolis-koeln.de/kino/programm/city190/
Odeon-Lichtspieltheater, Severinstraße 81, Cologne: http://www.odeon-koeln.de/inhalt/odeon/plan
Or check out this site http://www.filmstarts.de/kinoprogramm/?cgeocode=126010 tap in your location and then select the OV Original Version.